Why blog? Have you ever asked that question?
Maybe you already have a successful business and you see blogging as just one more thing to do.
Maybe you have an uninspiring day job and the thought of building a side hustle business about something you are passionate about excites you.
Whatever the reason, I would encourage you to blog.
Since many of us want to see how something will benefit us before we get started, I’ve created a list of 27 amazing benefits of blogging.
I’ll be honest, my list keeps getting longer. In fact, I may need to adjust the number in the title before I finish writing this blog post.
If you are a blogger, I hope some of these will warm your spirit, inspire your passion, and strengthen your resolve.
27 Amazing Benefits of Blogging
1. Blogging offers you the ability to pursue your passion – I can think of no other vehicle other than blogging that allows anyone anywhere to influence anyone anywhere. The topics are endless and the world is just outside the publish button.
2. Blogging builds a platform for you – Whether you are a speaker, author, leader of an organization or stay-at-home mom, blogging gives you the opportunity to build a platform that surrounds your expertise and passion.
3. Blogging is a low cost way to build a business – A $10 domain name and a $3 a month hosting package puts you in business. Blogging is the ultimate low cost start up.
4. Blogging refines your writing skills – Blogging allows you to learn on the go. With each published blog post, you get that much better. The more that you write, the better you become over time.
5. Blogging offers you the potential to connect with other influencers – Another amazing benefit to blogging is the amazing relationships that you can develop. You get to connect with other influencers in the blogosphere. There is nothing more rewarding than connecting with other bloggers who share your passion.
6. Blogging increases your knowledge base – I have often said that the best bloggers are learners at heart. They love to learn and then share what they have learned with the world.
7. Blogging engages people in a conversation – I love the comment section of a blog. A blog post is just a conversation starter. Over the years, I have been both encouraged and challenged by the comments on my blog. Like iron sharpens iron, comments from others sharpen my thinking.
8. Blogging stretches you beyond your comfort zone – You have to be willing to put yourself out there a bit. Blogging opens you up and exposes your thoughts, ideas and opinions. Not everyone is going to agree with you, but that is okay too.
9. Blogging solves problems for people – There is nothing like receiving a comment of how something you wrote solved a problem for someone. The only thing to top that is to receive a comment about how something you wrote 2 years ago helped somebody today. You talk about maximizing your influence!
10. Blogging is a great place to test ideas – I have had good ideas and bad ideas over the years. When you blog, you offer the opportunity to see if others feel the same way you do. Maybe your crazy idea is not so crazy after all!
11. Blogging provides social proof for any adventure – Many publishers today are looking at your blog to see how many real followers you have (Facebook, twitter, mailing lists, etc). Building social proof on your site opens up a whole new world of possibilities for you. Not to mention that your blog provides a central hub for all your social media efforts.
12. Blogging has a far reaching effect – I totally missed the reaching potential for a blog when I started. The weekend I launched my first product, I had two people from Australia buy it. That weekend changed my thinking from that day forward. Today, it is not unusual for me to have a coaching call with someone on the east coast and the west coast in the same day.
13. Blogging is sustainable over the long run – It is hard for me to imagine a world where blogging does not have some type of impact. It may change a bit over the years, but the principles will never change. There will always be people seeking information.
14. Blogging makes you a better thought leader – One of the absolute joys of writing for me is to see how my thoughts develop. Blogging can stretch your thinking in a way that no other medium can.
15. Blogging makes you a better communicator – Each article I write has a purpose to it. There is a “big idea” and a logical outline to follow. Every point supports that big idea in a way. Each article is like crafting a sermon or developing a keynote speech. Once you are offered a speaking opportunity, you’ll have plenty of pre-crafted speech outlines ready to go!
16. Blogging increases your ability to lead – If you are a leader of an organization, you need a blog. period. Blogging offers you the ability to influence, increase your leadership and propel your vision. Blogging allows you to become up close and personal with everyone in your organization. They know what is on your mind and in your heart.
17. Blogging makes you a better listener – Readers of my blog have influenced my thinking over the years. I love to hear others’ perspectives.
18. Blogging positions you as an expert – I still remember the day that a reporter from Monster.com called me requesting an interview. After only one year of blogging about career-related topics it was a real highlight for me. Put your knowledge and experience out there and over time you will establish yourself as an expert in your niche.
19. Blogging gives you a voice – We all want our lives to matter. Blogging gives you a voice in this world. What you say can make an impact on someone else.
20. Blogging assists you in building a tribe of followers – Whether it is building a mailing list or creating products that others love, blogging gives you the ability to create a band of followers – people who join you in your journey and enjoy the same passions.
21. Blogging is a great personal branding tool – Blogging can increase your personal brand like nothing else. It displays your knowledge and shows the world what you are all about.
22. Blogging can assist you in publishing a book – If you desire to be an author, blogging can be a great avenue toward reaching your dream. Many successful authors started with blogging. Through a blog, you can create the content for your book and build a following who will purchase your book.
23. Blogging can assist you in getting new job offers – I have heard many stories about bloggers who were offered their dream job because of their blog. A blog becomes your resume.
24. Blogging allows you to promote other bloggers and their message – Another amazing benefit to blogging is having the ability to promote worthy causes, highlight amazing authors, and build rising bloggers.
25. Blogging offers you the opportunity to be creative – There is nothing more creative than creating your own products. To see something go from just an idea to a finished product that helps others is incredibly humbling. Where else are you able to test your creativity and earn income?
26. Blogging allows your thoughts and ideas to influence others 24/7 – One of the things that I love most about blogging is that my doors are always open. I can influence someone with the words I write at 3 am when I am asleep. I can spend the day with my family at the beach and my influence, ideas, and thoughts are still influencing others.
27. Blogging can earn you an income – I left this last because the longer I do this, the more I see it as the by-product of everything else above. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that I can earn a living through blogging. But if you chase the income first, you will be left wanting. Instead, focus on providing tremendous value, building traffic, and making a difference. Then, making money with a blog becomes easier.