As many of you probably already know, YouTube can send a lot of traffic to your blog. I recently read some amazing statistics about YouTube. Did you know that:
- Over 60 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute!
- YouTube receives over 4 billion views daily
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine online
Your ability to tap into YouTube can greatly increase your chances for success on your blog. I have been actively uploading YouTube videos for over 3 years, here are a few tips for you :
How to Get More Views on YouTube
1. Create more videos! I know this isn’t profound, but hear me out. The more videos you have uploaded, the more chance you have of one really taking off. Anytime I write a blog post that I am unable to fully explain with text, I create a short video and add it to YouTube. This not only increases engagement with blog readers, but it can send more traffic to my blog post from those who found me on YouTube.
2. Create catchy, keyword-rich titles. As mentioned earlier, YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine. People are searching for videos to answer their question. Be sure to add good keyword phrases into your title.
3. Add keyword-rich content into the description. The description area is a great place to optimize your video. I always try to summarize the video with at least a paragraph or two. Again, use keyword phrases.
4. Add close captioning by transcribing your video. This is something I have recently begun to do. I hope to write an entire post on this in the future. YouTube gives you the option to upload a transcript of your video and turn it into close captions. This indexes the video for SEO purposes. You can even do a search on YouTube and if the video has a “transcript” the search engine picks up the exact spot in the video where that phrase was mentioned.
5. Optimize your tags with the right keywords. The tags area is another place to optimize your video for the YouTube search engine. You can increase your YouTube views by adding keyword-rich tags. For ideas, do a search with your targeted keyword phrase and find the tags that other videos are using.
6. Embed your YouTube video on your blog. Always, always embed your YouTube video on your blog. You want to drive traffic back to your main hub, which is your blog. Also, I am beginning to notice a cool thing that is happening. Google is showing a thumbnail of YouTube videos right on the search results page. Notice the picture below for an example. I bet more people want to click on my link over the one above that has no video thumbnail.
7. Share video link on your social networks. Don’t forget to promote your video to your fans and followers on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. Doing so can increase your views to your YouTube videos.
As you can see, there is a lot that can go into just adding one video on YouTube. Do not let this discourage you from getting more videos uploaded. You can always go back and optimize your videos later. YouTube give you the option to edit just about anything.
What have you done to increase your views on YouTube? Please comment below.