Many of us would classify ourselves as multi-passionate. I know I have certainly struggled in the past with the following questions:
- Which of my many passions is the best choice for starting a blog?
- Out of all my passions which one resonates best with others?
- What if the passion I want to blog about has too much competition already?
Have you ever wrestled with any of those questions? Maybe you feel similar to an email I received from a fellow blogging student:
I’ve been going through the course Blogging 101, and I can’t decide what topic to try. I have a few ideas so far:
– Health / Fitness
Can you help me narrow it down? I’ve gone through the video that helps me with that, but I still can’t decide. Every time I decide on one, I end up wanting the other one as well.
Here was my answer back:
I completely understand where you are coming from. Having multiple passions is tough. One idea is to combine some of your passions into one blog. NerdFitness.com is a great example. He talks about video games and fitness on the same blog.
You can also go with a personal branding blog and use your own name. Your name is something that will never change. This way you can share your many passions under one blog.
Another example is theArtrofNonConformity.com. Chris has a theme of freedom/living different and he talks about travel, working while traveling, living different, etc. See if there is a “overarching theme” to your various passions.
If you need a logical approach to selecting the right passion for your blog, then allow me to introduce you to the Idea Filter Worksheet. This is a worksheet that I introduced to the Teach Your Passion students. It is designed to help them to logically choose which idea is the best idea to turn into an online course.
I believe the same questions can work for analyzing our passions. Score yourself on a scale of one to ten.
- Do I enjoy learning about this topic?
- Am I passionate about this topic/worldview?
- What’s my level of experience or skill with this?
- Am I able to solve problems or satisfy desires of other people with this topic or worldview?
- Are other people already earning income with this topic or worldview? (If yes, this is a positive sign not a negative one)
After you walk your many passions through these questions, total up your score. How did you do? Did one or two passions rise to the top?
Question: How have you narrowed your many passions when it comes to blogging? Comment below…